If you are unable to move the prescribed loads efficiently and with good mechanics, you should always scale or modify the workout. When scaling or modifying the prescribed training, aim to mimic the intent of the training session as written. In other words, if a conditioning portion is meant to be performed in approximately 6-8 minutes, choose a load or modification that will allow you to achieve that time domain.
We offer two distinct “goal-based” programming options depending on your individual goals. If your primary goal is improving your health and fitness for longevity and body composition, we recommend following the “Fitness” program. If your primary goal is improving athletic performance, pushing your athletic limits, and competing in the sport of CrossFit, we recommend following the “Performance” program.
It depends on the nature of your injury. If the injury is severe and a medical professional has advised you to take some time off to recuperate, we recommend you follow their advice. If it’s a minor injury, we are usually able to modify the workout for you to train around your injury and ensure a speedy recovery. Consult a coach if you are unsure.
Your nutritional strategy will largely vary depending on your desired goals and outcomes for your training. Our coaches are well-educated and experienced in helping members of our community with nutritional guidance. Simply ask one of us and we’ll be happy to help you out!
You will learn how to read the whiteboard during your Prep Course, but of course feel free to ask your coach if you ever have trouble understanding what’s written on the board. All the terminology will become second nature. Until then, here’s a list of some of our most used terms:
- WOD: Workout of the day.
- Rx: As prescribed; as written. WOD done without any adjustments.
- Rep: Repetition. One performance of an exercise.
- Set: A number of repetitions. e.g., 3 sets of 10 reps, often seen as 3×10, means do 10 reps, rest, repeat, rest, repeat.
- AMRAP: As Many Round (and Reps) as Possible.
- EMOM: Every Minute on the Minute.
- PR: Personal record.
- RM: Repetition maximum. Your 1RM is your max lift for one rep. Your 10 RM is the most you can lift 10 times.
- KB: Kettlebell.
- PU: Pull-ups.
- OHS: Overhead squat. Full-depth squat performed while arms are locked out in a wide grip press position above (and usually behind) the head.
- MU: Muscle ups. Hanging from rings you do a combination pull-up and dip so you end in an upright support.
- K2E: Knees to elbows. Similar to T2Bs described below.
- T2B: Toes to bar. Hang from bar. Bending only at waist raise your toes to touch the bar, slowly lower them and repeat.
- HSPU: Hand stand push up. Kick up into a handstand (use wall for balance, if needed) bend arms until the top of the head touches floor and push back up.
Yes! We have two bathrooms, one of which is equipped with a full shower so you can wash up after your workout and get on with your day!
Members of out-of-town CrossFit affiliates are welcome to drop in to any of our normally scheduled group coaching sessions! The joy of CrossFit has always been in the community of amazing individuals, and we never want to lose sight of that. To learn more about our drop-in options, please click here!
Yes, yes, yes! Dynamic Athletic’s CrossFit programming is meant to be scaled and suitable for all ages and physical conditions. Anybody that has a body can be an athlete here. We will scale workouts and movements around your current fitness level and progress the program as you are ready.
Yes! We have a month-long Prep Course that consists of three one-on-one sessions with our coaches. During these sessions, you will learn all of the essential movements to ensure your success with our regular group classes. In addition to learning movements such as squats, presses, and various bodyweight movements, we will also do a mobility and flexibility assessment as well as a body analysis with you. Come dressed in workout clothes, as you will be moving the whole time and we will finish the session with a quick workout. Contact us to set up your first session!